Sunday, October 26, 2008

Wow! What a week!


So, as most of you know by now, I got an unexpected call from my boss at 10:30 p.m. Friday night. (Yes, I was in bed that early. Don't judge me, I have a high-stress job.)

Anyway, the news was exciting: http://www.jmu.edu/jmuweb/general/news/general10230.shtml

That's right--just a week before perhaps what might prove to be the most significant election in modern American history, THE candidate of our dreams Barack Obama is gracing the campus of JMU, where I happen to be employed. Yesterday my boss told me the campaign told him to expect about 120 media outlets attending. Now, we as PR people probably won't be answering many questions, that will be reserved for Obama's staff. we'll probably be doing more logistical stuff like making sure the media have room, coordinating with security, etc. But I'm hoping for a chance to get a handshake and/or picture with the man, but I'm not holding my breath. As low man on the JMU media relations totem pole, I'll be lucky if I'm sent to get coffee for Candy Crowley, but you've gotta admit, it's still pretty sweet. A once in a lifetime opportunity.

In other JMU news, the #1 (FCS) ranked Dukes won an absolute thriller yesterday over #7 Villanova on an unbelievable Hail Mary. Greg and I happened to be at a local watering hole with the men from my office. Needless to say, it was a giant thrill to see the typically reserved middle aged men I work with go absolutely berserk along with the entire restaurant full of JMU students. I haven't been able to find the clip on espn.com yet, but I would hope it goes up soon. No respect for the FCS.

Lastly, if you didn't get the email yet, Sarah Mac posted a neat little video showing off the athletic exploits of Bailey the Dog. He plays hounding defense, fetches the ball whenever it's close, and is tough as bark. But he hasn't quite mastered the pooch shot yet. Ha. Here's the link to youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzgmRRBYWLw

UPDATE: In case you haven't been able to find it yet, here's a link to a YouTube video of said Hail Mary pass. Also for your viewing pleasure, here's a video of another awesome JMU play to seal victories, a 60+yard punt return that was ESPN's #1 play of the week.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

It's been quite the week, eh?