Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Some random thoughts

The more I hear and read about Oliver Stone's "W", the more excited I am to see it. I still don't think I am going to go see it as soon as it comes out. In fact, I probably won't even see it in theaters, but possibly. What is interesting to me, though, is that the role of George H. Bush is portrayed by one Mr. James Cromwell (See post #2). He's at it again. I also read an interesting story about how the various actors/actresses cast as the recognizable W administration members play their parts with various degrees of idiosyncrasy. Apparently, Cromwell doesn't even attempt a Bush-like drawl, while others dig down to the deepest details of their characters. I would be afraid that could make the film seem disjointed, but I guess it works. Also note that Josh Brolin notes the influence of Richard Jenkins, an alum of my alma mater IWU.

Secondly, speaking of George H. Bush, I caught a quick glimpse of a 1988 Presidential debate between him and Michael Dukakis. Aside from a much younger Andrea Mitchell's ridiculous giant hair and godawful pink dress, what stood out to me was how much Dukakis looked and sounded like Sen. Chris Dodd. In their faces, hair, accent/delivery and even the way their lips move, Dukakis and Dodd seemed eerily similar. I guess Dukakis' bid fared better than Dodd's, but of course, it didn't work out very well for either.

Finally, in news that probably matters most to Jeffro, I was surprised to hear that Jeff Goldblum has been cast to replace Chris Noth as a detective on Law and Order: CI. Now I'm not too up on the various Law and Order series, but Goldblum seems like an interesting choice. First, he's not traditionally a tough guy, but more likely an intelligent and eccentric character. I guess that could work in the way Vincent D'Onofrio does. I think D'Onofrio has a little more tough cred, though. Personally, I might be more likely to watch the show now, because I enjoy Goldblum's off-beat, staccato delivery and strange charm. But I'm not sure about most viewers. Certainly seems like a 180 from Noth...

No comments: