Saturday, August 27, 2011

Pilot of Interest

I saw an intriguing television commercial (and billboard) the other day for a new show to premiere in August on CBS, called Person of Interest. It is intriguing mostly because it stars Michael Emerson, who played the deviously brilliant Benjamin Linus on LOST. It also features another actor I like (even though he's a basically crazy Republican), Jim Caviezel, who is most famous for playing Jesus in The Passion of the Christ but who I like better for his roles in The Count of Monte Christo (2002) and The Prisoner (2009).

Person of Interest is based on a screenplay by JJ Abrams, who created LOST and is being produced by many people Abrams worked with on his first sci-fi foray, Alias, so that is obviously encouraging as well. While the premise seems a little off to me, I definitely will still give it a chance.

The show, according to its Wikipedia page, focuses on a mysterious billionaire (Linus), who develops a computer program that can predict the identity of a person who will be involved with a violent crime in the future. It cannot tell if the person will be a victim, perpetrator or witness of the crime, nor can it tell when or where the crime will happen. Caviezel plays an ex-CIA agent, whom the billionaire hires to prevent the crimes based on the information he gathers. This seems like a fairly thin premise to me, and close to a take-off of the ideas in the 2002 movie Minority Report and the Philip K. Dick story on which it was based. But the preview also instantly reminded me of the season 5 episode of LOST The Economist, where we see Linus (himself a man of considerable resources) guiding ex-Republican Guard super-spy and torturer Sayid through a series of off-island assassinations. The lack of detail given by the prediction program appears to provide plenty of opportunity for excitement and variability in the action of the show.

Here's the one-minute preview, if you haven't seen it yet:



I'm glad to see that Emerson has found another primetime vehicle, and to be working with Abrams et al again, especially since his previously rumored partnership with LOST's Terry O'Quinn, Odd Jobs, appears to be mired in delays.

Person of Interest has apparently tested well, and though I am troubled by the potential weaknesses in its conceit, I do think it sounds more in line with the intrigue and action of LOST than Odd Jobs did. We'll see how it turns out. Whatever happens, happens.

1 comment:

PopsArmstrong said...

I too saw the ads for Person of Interest and found the show to be of Interest. How could I not with Emerson and Abrams involved? But I agree the premise looks thin. In fact I would go so far as to say the ads are boring, which doesn't bode well for the show itself. On the other hand I had no interest in a show about people stranded on a lost island when it came out either. Hey, check out the trailers for Alcatraz, another Abrams project for the Fall (Hurley!). And I'll have to watch the season premier of Hawaii Five-o, if for no other reason than that first Kim/O'Quinn meeting.