Monday, February 8, 2010

Odds and the End

Odds are, you watched the Super Bowl last night. I did as well, in the comfort of our friend Jordan's apartment, which she shares with an engaged couple (I don't know who would ever want to do that). She is a Tulane alum and big Saints fan, and since neither Sarah nor I have much connection to Indianapolis, we cheered for the underdogs along with her. It was a good game, but since I had no money riding on the outcome and found the commercials subpar, I was much more attached to Jordan's barbecue shrimp than I was to the game.

On more important TV matters, the premiere of the final season of LOST has come and gone, with much ado from me and my fellow LOSTies. I won't get into the details here, because most of you don't care, and those of you who do can check out Pops' take on it at his blog. Suffice it to say that many hours were spent by my coworkers and I Wednesday morning around the water cooler combating out LOST hangovers.

Finally, I thought I'd point out what was both a fiduciary boon and culinary nightmare for me a few weeks ago. Sarah and I were at Target picking up a few items when I noticed a sign that Lean Pockets were on sale for $2. I often buy Lean Pockets at this price--2 pockets per box, or $1 per pocket is a decent deal. They are a reasonably not-unhealthy lunch in a pinch, portable and microwavable. However, I had grown quite sick of them, having indulged in them far too often in my Office at JMU (to the horror of both my palate and my coworkers' noses).

My heart rose, then sank when I examined the sign and saw that the $2 price was not for 2-packs, but rather for the family size 12-pack boxes of Pepperoni and Sausage Pockets! We had to buy them. I've been taking them in my lunch ever since. After three weeks, still about a third of our freezer is apportioned for the little pastry packets of lukewarm pizza goo. My coworkers ask me every day if I like Lean Pockets. Every day, I tell them no.


The banes of my existence.

No comments: