Saturday, April 11, 2009

Stan in the Place Where You Live

So here's a gem I found on the web. It is a fairly low-quality documentary about the late, great Canadian folk legend Stan Rogers, called "One Warm Line: The Legacy of Stan Rogers." I have been able to find very little information about it, other than that it was made by a production company called Kensington and directed by two men, Alan Collins and Robert Lang, in 1989, some six years after Rogers' death in a plane crash.


via videosift.com

It contains several interviews with presumed Canad(ians/-iennes,) most of whom are not identified, over an often stunning backdrop of the Canadian wilderness and several of Stan's most-known songs. I must say, having to this point only heard his booming voice on CD, it is a nice treat to see some of his live performances, which are vibrant and moving.

Apparently, some PBS (or CBC) stations have aired the documentary a few times throughout the years, but several commenters on various sites have complained about its virtual non-availability outside of a few public libraries who have it on VHS. However, it does appear to be available on DVD through Kensington's Web site, for $27.95., or through the company that distributes Rogers' works, Fogarty's Cove Music. However, it appears that to make a purchase through FC, one must print and fill out a form and send it snail (or, more likely, moose) mail. That seems a little ridiculous these days, but I guess it is Canada.

Anyway, I hope the video res is high enough that you can view it easily. A more intense Web search may turn up a better version.

5 comments:

Hot Topologic said...

The Canadian accents and the fashions of the times make this video pretty classic. I just about lost it when he said something like, "When I hear aboot someone who's lost a boat..."

Anonymous said...

Wow, Dan - at the risk of being sappy, I'm pretty moved by this. I've never seen this video, and you know how much Stan means to me. And god, those accents bring me home. I don't think my dad's ever seen this video either.

Anonymous said...

Oh - and I looked for that video of Paul Gross singing Barrett's Privateers, and I can't find it. Send me the link?

kilgore said...

Here's that link. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbeXh9FZT_g.

Ya, I thought you would enjoy it, and might consider pursuing the DVD version for your dad, if, of course, you don't mind having to moose mail.

Anonymous said...

When I emailed it to my dad, he said he'd already seen it, owns a copy, and is surprised I'd never seen it. Sheesh, the things my family doesn't tell me. :)