Monday, March 23, 2009

Mad' Scientist?

Here is the latest issue of Madison Scholar, JMU's online scholarly news publication. Apparently, only two stories by me are in this one. Also a video sidebar I did. It's pretty sweet. This is just good ol' web browsing, none of that new-school, fancy-schmansy Virtual Paper crap.

p.s. I think that's the first time I've ever tried to spell "schmansy." Not recognized in the blogger lexicon, so feel free to offer alternate spellings as per your preference.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would spell it "schmancy," to go with "fancy." My two cents.

kilgore said...

For some reason, with the sch beginning, it makes me want to pronounce the hard 'c', like 'Shmanky'

Hot Topologic said...

Those were some nice articles, especially "A Sight for Sore Eyes," but it could have used more eye-related puns. You really have an eye for that kind of detail. But make sure you cross the t's and dot the...lowercase j's.

Hot Topologic said...

Also re: schmansy. I agree with Sarah that a -ancy makes sense, as it's not so much a word itself as a compound, and rules of English orthography place heavy dependence on word origin. Speaking of, the initial consonant sound is a voiceless postalveolar fricative, generally represented in English as sh, in German as sch, and in French as ch. Since fancy is derived from the Middle English fantasie, from the Old French phantasia, an sh makes more sense, I think. Also, most sch- words from Middle English are now spelled with sh-, so it is sort of a moot point, anyway.

kilgore said...

ok.