Sunday, November 23, 2008

Christmas List!

Ok, so I know it's not even Thanksgiving yet, but I have been getting asked left and right what I'm hoping for this Christmas. So then I got the brilliant idea of putting a X-Mas list on this blog, so all interested parties can see it at the same time. As of yet, it is not complete, nor is it really that specific. What I'll throw out there right now are some general ideas. I'll update as my greed increases the closer we get to the holiday. Here's what I'm thinking so far:

Books: The Great Gatsby and/or Tender Is The Night--Fitzgerald has been lauded by many as producing what could be most closely considered the Great American Novel. These may be a good inspirational starting point for me beginning to write my own; One of pop-sociologist Malcolm Gladwell's books--Blink, The Tipping Point or his newest offering, Outliers. I haven't read any of these, and I'm hesitant to indulge in yuppie conventional wisdom, but his common sense views of societal phenomena appear to be in the same vein as mine; or, as always, more Vonnegut.

Music: Way to Blue--An introduction to Nick Drake, the English singer/songwriter whose ill-fated existence is, similarly to Gladwell's rise, now becoming the stuff of legend among hipsters. That's ok, the music is pretty good, very mellow, great for work--but don't listen to too much or you may wind up as depressed as he was; lastly, perhaps something by Stan Rogers(, Sarah Mac).

Useless consumer products: An electric razor/beard trimmer--I'm thinking about keeping a near-perpetual 5 O'Clock shadow, and a beard trimmer will be a must for that, but don't worry, Sarah K, having a convenient shaving instrument might inspire me to do the act even more ;). Wet-dry might be a nice feature, too.